If you ask me I would tell you that you can never eat too much gelato. Ask any doctor and they will disagree. But if you are going to be in Italy for two weeks you might as well search for the best gelato by having a different flavour every day. When you return sanity has to prevail so this recipe for a Roasted Broccoli Slaw is a super healthy attempt to balance out all that sugar and cream of the last two weeks.
The original recipe comes from Yummy Beet and Allison’s photos of the salad looked so good that I could not resist making it. I did not deviate from the recipe too much but replaced the pine nuts in the recipe with a mix of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. The salad is a deliciously different way to enjoy broccoli and makes a welcome change from all the roasted cauliflower recipes out there.
You can keep the broccoli raw and then just toast the nuts and make the salad completely vegan by omitting the cheese. The Roasted Broccoli Salad will also make a great base salad for you to add some protein of your choice. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Roasted Broccoli Slaw with Feta. If you’ve made the recipe share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram with the hashtag #heinstirred.
** Disclaimer: Olive oil sponsored by Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
I am proud to be associated with Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil and use it whenever a recipe requires Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The South African cold press extra virgin Olive Oil is produced in the Riversdale area, has a whiff of fresh cut grass and aromas of green tomatoes, almonds artichokes and green apples.
- 1 large head of broccoli, florets only, very finely chopped (save the stems for a veggie soup)
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 disk feta cheese, cut into small cubes or crumbled
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C
- Place the broccoli, seeds, olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix until combined
- Spread into an even layer on a large baking tray and roast for 15 minutes, until broccoli and seeds are beginning to brown
- While the broccoli roasts, make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients and pour into the big bowl used for the raw broccoli
- Once the broccoli has roasted, remove from the oven and place in the bowl with dressing and toss to combine
- Let it stand for about 10 minutes to cool down and mix in the feta and cranberries
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge to cool down completely and serve then
A few more of my favourite salad recipes :