Autumn is slowly setting in and you can feel the cooler temperature in the mornings and evenings here in Cape Town. It means the days are getting shorter and for any foodie who’s always wondering what the next meal will be, hot comfort food is making it’s return! And what can be better than a comforting Zucchini Parmigiana for the cooler days ahead.
For us in Cape Town it means the rainy season is due to start and after 3 years of the most terrible drought you can’t help but hope that we will get the rain we so desperately need. And what can be better than a comforting Zucchini Parmigiana for those rainy days ahead.
Zucchini Parmigiana is delicious as a vegetarian main or served as veggie side dish to a roast chicken. This is comfort food without any hassle. The inspiration for my recipe comes from Jennifer at Milk and Honey. I have been following Jennifer for a few years now and always love what she makes for her family. One day when I am in Australia I might just arrive unannounced at her front door and not leave for week while feasting on her food. Follow her on Instagram for a good dose of inspiration for your next meal.
The two tins of tomatoes makes a lot sauce. You could halve it and only use 1 but I prefer all the sauce. The tinned tomatoes we get in SA can be very acidic and I find it does need a bit of sugar, so taste the tomatoes once you have added all the ingredients. There is a slight bite from the chilli – add more or less to your taste when making the sauce.
Serve the Zucchini Parmigiana with some mashed potatoes, a pasta to mop up all the sauce or go low carb and serve it with quinoa. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Zucchini Parmigiana. If you’ve made the recipe share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram with the hashtag #heinstirred.
I am currently in Milan to attend Milan Design Week that starts tomorrow. Be sure to follow along on Instagram as I check out the latest trends at EuroCucina and see what’s trending when it comes to technology for the kitchen of tomorrow.
- 900g large zucchinis, sliced in half a cm thick slices
- vegetable oil for shallow frying
- 2 x 410g tomato and onion mix
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 – 3 tsp sugar depending how acidic the tomatoes are
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (add more or less to your taste)
- sea salt flakes and ground black pepper to season
- 250ml sour cream
- 50ml full cream milk
- 60g finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 mozzarella ball shredded mozzarella
- fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over a medium high heat
- Fry the zucchini slices in batches in the oil until golden on both sides
- Put the tomato and onion mix in a bowl and add the oregano, vinegar, paprika, sugar, chilli, salt and black pepper. Set aside
- Mix the sour cream, milk and parmesan in a bowl. Set aside
- Pour 1/3 of the tomato mixture into a large baking dish
- Lay the zucchini slices on top and season with sea salt and ground black pepper
- Pour the remaining tomato mixture over the top, then the sour cream mixture
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and some basil leaves.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the cheese on top is golden
- Sprinkle with more fresh basil leaves and serve piping hot with mashed potatoes, pasta or quinoa.
A few more of my favourite comfort food recipes :