I was given a copy of the September issue of Delicious Australia a while ago by my favourite foodie who was in Australia for business and in it was a fantastic strawberry recipe feature. I loved it so much that this White Chocolate Frangipane and Summer Berry Galette is the third recipe from that feature that I have used as inspiration to create a dessert for sharing on here. The original recipe used strawberries and I replaced them with delicious blackberries and cherries.
I love making galette (see more galette recipes here) as I truly don’t like making pastry (and don’t think I am remotely good at it). And a galette gives you some freedom as it is all freeform and you can patch any tears as you go along. It is supposed to not be perfect.
The galette is rich and buttery and even though the crème fraiche adds even more richness, the addition of the lemon lifts it beautifully. Make sure the fold/ridge of the pastry is quite raised as the crème fraiche becomes runny once mixed (the product I used did). You can use any berries of your choice, just one type or a colourful mix.
The White Chocolate Frangipane and Summer Berry Galette takes some effort but is such a festive dessert and I think it is so worth it. Add a sprinkle of icing sugar to make it more festive.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for White Chocolate Frangipane and Summer Berry Galette. If you’ve made the recipe share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #heinstirred.
- 250g cake flour
- 30g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 170g cold butter, chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 60 – 80ml ice cold water
- To bake :
- Egg wash
- 1 tbsp demerera sugar
- 70g best quality white chocolate, finely chopped
- 70g butter, chopped
- 150g ground almonds
- 55g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml crème fraiche
- 25g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 500g berries and cherries of your choice
- Make the pastry by combining the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl
- Add the butter and by using your finger tips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients to a coarse crumb
- Add the vinegar and half the cold water and mix to combine
- Add more water if needed and gently knead until the dough just comes together
- Press to a rough rectangle shape, enclose with cling wrap and chill for 2 hours
- Place the chocolate, butter, ground almonds and sugar in a bowl and rub with your fingertips to combine
- Add the egg, flour and vanilla and stir to form a paste
- On a lightly floured surface , roll the pastry to a 3mm thick large rectangle, trimming to form a clean edge
- Place on a lined baking tray
- Spread the white chocolate frangipane over the pastry leaving a 5cm border, then fold the edges to enclose the filling. Make sure the edges are raised as it needs to hold the crème fraiche topping as well
- Brush the border with the egg wash and scatter with the sugar
- Chill for 20 minutes and preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Place the tart in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until golden and cooked through
- Cool to room temperature
- Combine the crème fraiche, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, salt and mix
- Spread over the tart and place the berries on top of the crème fraiche
- Serve immediately
Check out my other interpretations from the Delicious Australia feature with this Panna Cotta with Gin Roasted Strawberries recipe which is utterly good and this Pavlova with Brown Sugar Labneh and Strawberries, the classic Australian dessert is given a Middle Eastern makeover with the use of labneh, pomegranate molasses and rose water.
Some more festive inspiration :