This recipe for Bacon Peanut Butter Banana Bread came into existence after I received a brief to produce 4 short recipe videos for the Sunday Times Food Weekly Facebook Page. The one recipe had to be an interesting flavour combination and I went back to a Peanut Butter Banana Bread recipe I did on the blog back in 2013 and decided to up date it with the addition of crispy fried bacon. And I do think it works deliciously.
Here is the video : Bacon Peanut Butter Banana Bread
But before I get to the recipe please indulge me for some self promotion. Last Tuesday saw the Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2016 winners announced in London. It was the most competitive year yet with over 7000 entries from 60 countries vying for the top accolade in 17 categories as well as an overall winner of the competition. The judging panel included Jamie Oliver’s photographer David Loftus and Nigel Atherton, Group Editor, Photography, Time Inc.
I am very happy to have been a finalist in two categories this year : Marks and Spencer Food Portraiture and the Food Blogger category. Both images were awarded “Highly Commended” in their respective category.
And then my recipe for Freekeh Pumpkin Coffee Cake I published two weeks ago is up for a fabulous first prize against 9 other Freekeh recipes. Please go vote for it at this link by just liking the photo. And make sure you “like the page” as you could win a R1500 shopping voucher from The Really Interesting Food Company by voting for the winning recipe. Thank you!
OK, back to the Bacon Peanut Butter Banana Bread
I think the combination of the sweet and salty always works really well and it was only afterwards I realised this was the same combination of the famous Elvis Presley sandwich, although it seems the bacon is not always mentioned in all accounts of his favourite sandwich . But for me personally, this bread is a better version as I don’t really like cooked banana on its own.
This loaf makes a fantastic bread to have at breakfast. One of the most important flavours in this recipe is the bacon. Try to get the best quality of bacon you can get your hands on (and afford). The smokier the better I think, as you want that flavour to carry through against the peanut butter and sweetness of the banana. Hope you enjoy!
We made another video which has received a lot of attention and close to 260000 views so far. Check out our Peppermint Crisp Ice Cream Sandwiches – they are so good and so easy to make!
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 ripe medium sized bananas, mashed
- 250g bacon, chopped and fried to crispy (fat after frying reserved)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Line a 2l loaf pan with baking paper
- Melt the butter and peanut butter together
- Beat the eggs and sugar until pale and thick
- Add the melted peanut butter and butter and beat until combined
- Mix in the bananas, bacon and vanilla extract
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until just combined
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top
- Bake for 50- 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle
- Let it cool a bit and turn out onto a wire rack. Remove the baking paper and let the loaf cool completely