This post and recipe is sponsored by JAZZ™ Apples
I am so happy with how this Roasted Chicken with JAZZ™ Apples and Mustard turned out. Flavourful chicken pieces with crispy chicken skin, doused in a mustardy almost sweet and sour sauce. The apple slices hold their shape, adding texture, colour and a slight sweetness to the dish.
Serve with a crispy heirloom tomato salad, hot potato wedges with some mayo to dip them into and dinner is delicious, quick and satisfying. I prefer using chicken thighs and drums, bone in, as they have the most flavour.
For this dish, I just built layer upon layer of flavour. First I made a simple spice mix of origanum, garam masala, ginger and smoked paprika and coated the portions with it. Then fried the pieces skin down to crisp up the skin. Next step is to fry some garlic until soft, add a bit of stock, some mustard and rosemary and placed the chicken portions in the broth to cook. In the last 10 minutes of cooking the JAZZ™ Apple slices and red onion slices go in and then it is just a few more minutes to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
If it is a nice warm day, serve the Roasted Chicken with JAZZ™ Apples and Mustard with a crispy salad and piping hot potato wedges. If there is a chill in the air, make a pot of buttery mash and a large serving of this Roasted Broccoli but leave out the Nori Salt as the added nori flavour won’t work. Delicious dinner sorted with not much fuss.
JAZZ™ apples were first born in New Zealand orchards following a natural union of the Royal Gala and Braeburn varieties. Sixteen years later JAZZ™ apples have become a global favourite. Compared with most apples, JAZZ™ apples are very dense which also makes them perfect for cooking as they keep their shape. Here in South Africa they are grown under a closely controlled quality growing programme and sold exclusively at Checkers stores. The season is in full swing currently at your favourite Checkers store.
- olive oil for frying
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 tsp seas salt flakes
- A few fresh grinds of black pepper
- 1 tsp dried origanum
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 175ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves
- 2 JAZZ™ apples, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Place the chicken in a sandwich bag
- Add the salt, pepper and spices and give it all a good shake
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add the oil
- Add the chicken skin down once the oil is hot and fry for 5 minutes, gently pushing down on the
- chicken pieces and shake the pan once in a while so the chicken does not stick
- Turn the pieces over, place the lid on the pan and cook for another 5 minutes
- Remove the chicken and wipe the pan clean
- Add a splash of oil and fry the garlic until soft
- Add the stock, mustard and rosemary and bring to the boil
- Add the chicken pieces back to the pan, cover, lower the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes
- Add the JAZZ™ apples and onions and cook covered for another 8 minutes or so, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked and the sauce reduced
- Taste and season if needed
- Let it stand covered for 5 minutes and serve hot
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Roasted Chicken with JAZZ™ Apples and Mustard. If you’ve made the recipe share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #heinstirred
A few more of my favourite chicken recipes: