These Roasted Aubergine Tortillas is another one of those little work for maximum flavour dishes I just love. Bonus is that there are a whole lot of my favourites in this dish making it a superb “vegetarian dude food” meal in my book.
Not only is it my favourite way of cooking aubergine (drizzled with olive oil and za’atar and then roasted) but also has a good dollop of homemade hummus (which I could quite happily live on) and a spoonful of spicy harissa which is another one of my favourite flavours.
The dish is incredibly easy but delicious, filling, healthy and vegetarian. Cut out the yoghurt and it is also 100% vegan. The aubergine is simply roasted with a good splash of olive oil and sprinkle of za’atar until it is meltingly soft and flavourful.
Serving it in tortillas adds extra crunch and texture. But you can use any other kind of wrap or pita bread even. For this recipe, I used Santa Anna Non GMO Gluten Free Corn Tortillas which I have seen sold at Spar in Seapoint. I lightly cooked them in a pan and then folded in half to cool before stuffing with the filling. I would guestimate about 2 – 3 tortillas per person.
I love hummus and homemade hummus is always so much tastier than shop bought. I added some herbs to the hummus for freshness and flavour. Coriander and parsley are obvious choices but I find chives and spring onion works just a well. Serve the Roasted Aubergine Tortillas with some ice cold beer. Enjoy!
Aubergine is one of my favourite ingredients and here are two more delicious aubergine recipes :
- 1 – 2 tortillas per person
- Roasted Aubergine
- 3-4 large aubergines
- 75ml Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 45ml za’atar
- Herbed Hummus
- 1 x 400g tin organic chickpeas
- 60ml Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 30ml tahini paste
- 1 clove garlic
- Handful of fresh herbs eg, parsley, coriander and chives
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to season
- Harissa Yoghurt
- 100ml full fat plain yoghurt
- 30ml harissa paste
- Preheat the oven to 230C
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways and score the flesh in a criss-cross pattern.
- Drizzle the aubergines liberally with the olive oil, opening the scores of the flesh for the oil to drizzle into.
- Sprinkle with the za’atar
- Place on a baking tray, flesh-side up, and roast in the oven for about 30 - 40 minutes until the flesh is cooked through a deep golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven and set aside until cooled
- Once cooled slice into chunks
- While to aubergine roasts, make the hummus by placing all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth
- Taste the hummus and season with salt and pepper and more lemon juice if needed.
- To make the harissa yogurt mix the yoghrt and harissa. Taste and add more harissa if needed.
- Warm the tortillas in a pan until heated through
- Spread thickly with the hummus and place some aubergine chunks on top
- Drizzle with the harissa yoghurt, sprinkle with some fresh herbs and serve
** Disclaimer: Olive oil sponsored by Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
I am proud to be associated with Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil and use it whenever a recipe requires Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The South African cold press extra virgin Olive Oil is produced in the Riversdale area, has a whiff of fresh cut grass and aromas of green tomatoes, almonds artichokes and green apples.