Quick Apple Tartlets with Pistachio Praline
- Pistachio Praline
- oil for greasing
- 100g castor sugar
- 60g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped (100g of nuts in the shell tends to yield just under 60g when shelled)
- Apple Tartlets
- 400g ready rolled puff pastry (defrosted)
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced and tossed in lemon juice to prevent browning
- 3 tablespoons honey - heated in the microwave for about 10 seconds till very runny
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Start with the praline by lightly greasing a piece of baking paper with oil and placing it on a baking tray.
- Heat the castor sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved (do not stir) and has turned a brown caramel colour. Keep a close watch so that it does not burn or brown too dark.
- Add the pistachio nuts and pour onto the sheet of baking paper.
- Allow to cool and set until hard.
- Place in a small plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin into small shards and chunks and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Unroll the pastry on a floured surface and cut into 8 even sized pieces.
- Place the apple slices on each piece of pastry, overlapping the slices and making sure that at least 1cm of the pastry edges remains uncovered.
- Lightly brush the apple slices with half of the runny honey and sprinkle with the castor sugar.
- Brush the 1cm uncovered edges of pastry with the beaten egg and place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, brush each tartlet with the rest of the runny honey, sprinkle with the pistachio praline, dust with some icing sugar and serve immediately.