I came across a photo of delicious prawn dumplings with the tails sticking out and immediately wanted to make them. But there was no recipe so then devised my own shortcut version for these Prawn and Pork Dumplings.
Usually the filling for Prawn and Pork Dumplings are made by coarsely chopping the pork and prawns but for this recipe the prawn is kept whole and “standing up” with the tail sticking out of the the dumpling so it is only the pork that needs to be chopped. I think good quality pork sausages are one of the best short cuts there are and used the already seasoned meat from the sausages for the filling. All I needed to add was a good splash of sesame oil and chopped spring onions and the filling was ready.
It really can not be easier. A spoonful of the pork sausage meat, topped with a prawn, wrapped in a gyoza wrapper and steamed for a few minutes. You can make a dipping sauce with some soya sauce, gochujang , sesame oil, sliced spring onions and rice vinegar. Or drizzle the dumplings with this Sizzling Szechuan Chili Oil I published on my Instagram account earlier this week. I promise it is worth making and a delicious match!
I hope you enjoy making this recipe for Prawn and Pork Dumplings. If you’ve made it, share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram with the hashtag #heinstirred. It is always a treat to see the recipes made and enjoy. All the images have been shot on the brand new BRIOCHE design from my range of photography backgrounds. You can view the full range by clicking here.
Prawn and Pork Dumplings
- 20 raw prawns deveined
- 3 large, best quality pork sausages
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 20 gyoza wrappers
- Peel the prawns leaving the tails intact
- Butterfly each prawn by cutting along its back but not all the way through. You want the prawn to stand up with the tail sticking out of the wrapper
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings and mix with the sesame oil and spring onions
- Spoon the pork meat on the wrappers and top with a prawn, tail pointing up
- Moisten the edge of the wrapper with a bit of water, then fold the wrapper to form a half moon, pressing firmly to seal the edges
- Place the dumplings in a lined steamer and steam over boiling water for about 8 minutes until the prawn tails are pink and the wrappers translucent
- Repeat until all the dumpling are cooked and serve with a dipping sauce or the Sizzling Szechaun Chili Oil
If you are looking for more quick, easy delicious meal ideas, my Gourmand Award winning cookbook, DRUNK AND HUNGRY is available as a digital download. As the title states, the book consists of easy and flavourful recipes for when you find yourself drunk, and hungry. Savoury, sweet, vegan, vegetarian, bacon, cheese, spice, and carbs are packed into 15 easy recipes to satisfy your hunger while tantalising your tastebuds.