I am quite taken with these Mushroom Pizzas. Flavoursome and umami-rich flavoursome large brown mushrooms topped with a home cooked tomato sauce, a few of your favourite pizza toppings, some melty mozzarella cheese and you have mushroom pizzas that goes far beyond just a stuffed mushroom. They are sure to add a delicious twist to all that holiday cooking that is just around the corner.
I devised the recipe for these mushroom pizzas after I was asked to participate in the#festivemushrooms campaign held by the South African Mushroom Farmer’s Association. The brief was to come up with a mushroom recipe using either white button, big brown or portabellini mushrooms. I recalled seeing these beautiful large brown mushrooms at the OZCF farmer’s market and decided to use them and turn an average stuffed mushroom into a next level mushroom pizza.
The beauty of these mushroom pizzas are that you have endless options in creating them. You can keep them vegan and not use any cheese, keep them vegetarian by using no meat toppings or go the full hog with cheese and various meat toppings. Any friends looking to exclude gluten and carbs will love these too as in my opinion they are a much easier way to cut the carbs and gluten than making a cauliflower based pizza.
I think it is crucial to make a good flavoursome tomato sauce so get the sauce going while you prepare the rest of the toppings. Make a caprese version with tomato, mozzarella and fresh basil or keep the kids happy with torn ham and pineapple pieces on top. Meat lovers will be happy with toppings like bacon, pepperoni or chorizo while those who love strong flavours won’t say no to a pizza of tomatoes, capers, olives and anchovies. In fact these mushroom pizzas make it so easy to keep everyone happy by making different ones yet you can cook them all at the same time. To see the all the other #festivemushrooms contributions check out the SAMFA Facebook page. Enjoy!
- 4 very large brown mushrooms, (deep enough to hold the filling) wiped clean
- 150g Fior Di Latte mozzarella
- Homemade Tomato Sauce:
- a generous glug of olive oil
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped (optional)
- 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 - 2 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- Topping suggestions:
- Baby tomatoes
- Fried bacon
- Fried chorizo
- Torn ham
- Pineapple chunks
- Pitted olives
- Sliced jalapenos
- Fresh basil leaves (as garnish)
- Fry the garlic and chilli in the olive oil until soft
- Add the tomatoes and sugar
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring often, until the tomato sauce has reduced and thickened
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C
- Place the mushrooms cap side down on a lightly greased baking sheet
- Spoon the tomato sauce inside the mushrooms caps and spread the sauce to cover the cap
- Tear the mozzarella into small pieces and dot the tomato sauce with 2 thirds of the cheese
- Top the mushrooms with your preferred topping ingredients and dot with the remaining cheese
- Place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through and the cheese melted
- Set the oven to grill and grill the mushrooms for a few extra minutes until the cheese bubbles to a golden brown
- Serve immediately
I am thrilled that the Recipe Index has been given a visual makeover. Instead of just a recipe listing, every recipe now shows the image of the dish, making it much easier to search and find a recipe to prepare. I hope you like it as much as I do.
A few more of my favourite pizza style recipes :