This sherbet is refreshing, summery and tropical, while the smokiness from the grilled pineapple adds a wonderful depth. A sherbet is usually a sorbet with dairy added which in this instance I replaced with light coconut milk. And I do think we can squeeze it into the “new year healthy eating” category. I mean, who can survive a month without ice cream?
It is quite easy to make as you don’t have to hassle with a custard and the only real work is grilling the pineapple and toasting the shredded coconut. Enjoy!
- 125 ml water
- 100 ml sugar
- 400ml light coconut milk
- 1tb lemon juice
- 450g fresh pineapple slices (peeled and cored)
- Pinch of salt
- a few tablespoons shredded or dessicated coconut – dry toasted in a pan over medium heat until golden brown
- a few more pieces of grilled pineapple for garnish (optional)
- Brush each pineapple slice lightly with some oil and grill each side for 3 minutes on a hot griddle pan.
- Once all the slices are grilled, blitz until smooth.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix the pineapple, coconut milk, sugar syrup, lemon juice and salt and chill for at least 6 hours and then churn in an ice cream maker. Put in a suitable container and freeze until ready to serve.
- Serve topped with the shredded coconut and pineapple slices as garnish (optional)