I have made this Giant Grilled Cheese with Spicy Honey Butter a few times and it is about time I share the recipe. It is the big bad boy of grilled cheese sandwiches and comes from Mezcla by Ixta Belfrage, a cookbook I absolutely love. I have made a few recipes from the book like this Banana Sesame Cake that is always worth making again.
This Giant Grilled Cheese is the ultimate weekend sharing food. The messiest and most delicious mix of cheesy, salty, sweet and spicy. Ixta’s recipe has some fancy ingredients such a Urfa chillies and Manuka honey, neither of which you need to use. Use whichever honey you have in the cupboard and same goes with the chillies. Use plain chilli flakes, smoked chilli flakes, Aleppo pepper of even Kashmiri chilli powder would do the trick for the spicy honey butter. I usually skip the jalapeño chilli topping and use any fresh chillies I have at the time or my current favourite thing, fire roasted and pickled serranos chillies made by Gran Luchito.
I suggest reducing the double cream to only 75g, I find sometimes that the original 150g in the recipe can make it a bit too runny depending on how the cheddar you use melts and it is a bit annoying to have all that melted cheese in the pan rather than on top of the bread. Although scooping it up from the pan onto the bread is not really a problem except for looking very messy. The cheese topping makes enough for a medium sized loaf of bread. Definitely use both halves and increase the topping by a half or so – trust me, none of this bread will go to waste.
So upgrade your braai or barbecue this weekend, take the garlic bread off the shopping list and make this Giant Grilled Cheese with Spicy Honey Butter. It will be a winner!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Giant Grilled Cheese with Spicy Honey Butter . Remember to share your photos with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram with the hashtag #heinstirred. It is always a treat to see the recipes made and enjoyed.
I am happy to let you know that my wooden range of spoons are now handmade to order. Do pop over to shop and place your order now.
- 1 loaf of sourdough or focaccia
- 300 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- 75 g double cream
- 50 g Greek yoghurt
- 1 jalapeño or green chilli thinly sliced
- ½ red onion very thinly sliced
- Spicy Honey Butter :
- 50 g butter at room temperature
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 2 - 3 spring onions thinly sliced
- 15 - 20 g honey depends how sweet you like it
- 1 tsp chilli flakes more to taste (plain, smoked, urfa, aleppo pepper)
- sea salt flakes to serve
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees C
- Halve the loaf of bread widthways (you only want the bottom half for this recipe) and place the bottom half on a flat baking tray, cut side up
- Once the oven is hot, bake for -5 minutes, until the surface is golden and lightly toasted
- In a bowl, mix together the cheese, cream and yoghurt
- Remove the bread from the oven and spread the cheese mixture all over it making sure not to flatten it, you want it messy on top
- Return to the top shelf of the oven and bake for 8-9 minutes until the surface is browned and bubbling
- Turn to the highest grill setting to melt/brown further if necessary
- While the bread is in the oven, put all the ingredients for the butter into a saucepan on a medium-low heat and gently simmer for 5 minutes, you want the garlic to soften but not to brown or become crispy
- Spoon the butter over the cheesy bread, then finish with the sliced jalapeño and onion
- Sprinkle with flaked salt and serve