Twice Roasted Crispy Parmesan Crushed Potatoes to satisfy any and all comfort food cravings. And even if my lockdown waistline and sluggish fitness might not be in full agreement with this dish, they will concur that it is really good and well worth making this long weekend.
I came across the recipe for Crispy Salt and Vinegar Smashed Potatoes on the popular Half Baked Harvest and I loved the way she smashed the potatoes by putting a baking sheet on top of the potatoes and just pressing down. I thought it was a brilliant short cut from crushing each potato individually as I have always done in the past.
I am not a huge fan of salt and vinegar as a flavour combination so kept the flavours to parmesan and aged cheddar, loads of sea salt and crushed black pepper, chopped spring onions and a healthy sprinkle of chilli flakes for heat. It is a slight twist on my recipe for Polenta Parmesan Roast Potatoes which has become such a favourite recipe amongst readers.
The recipe could not be easier. Boil the potatoes to just cooked (or use a pressure cooker to make things simple), crush the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and bake. Once they have crisped add the cheese and bake again until melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with the chillies and spring onion and they are ready to serve.
These will make a lovely snack with a garlicky yoghurt or sour cream dressing or serve them with some grilled pork bangers or a simple but delicious roast chicken. Save any leftovers for the morning after and whisk a few eggs to make a delicious and comforting breakfast frittata.
Thank you for all the lovely messages of support for the 2020 Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year competition. I walked away with 2 Highly Commended awards in the highly competitive “Marks & Spencer Food Portraiture” category and “On the Phone” category respectively. As always, there was amazing work in the finals and you can view all the finalist and winning images here.
- 700 g small potatoes
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt flakes to season
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 50g parmesan or any flavoursome hard cheese, grated
- 50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- chili flakes to taste
- spring onion, chopped for garnish
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with salted water
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the potatoes for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked and tender
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a baking sheet, letting them cool slightly
- Place another baking sheet on top of the potatoes, then push down firmly to smash the potatoes
- Drizzle the potatoes with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper, lightly tossing the potatoes at the same time
- Roast the potatoes until light golden brown and crisp underneath, about 25-30 minutes
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cheeses
- Return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the chilli flakes and spring onion and serve
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Twice Roasted Crispy Parmesan Crushed Potatoes. If you’ve made the recipe share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #heinstirred. It is always a treat to see the recipes made and enjoyed.