Summer is in full swing in Cape Town and this recipe for a homemade Apple, Ginger and Lemon Spritzer will go a long way to refresh and cool down on those long, hot days ahead. Made from scratch with a homemade fresh ginger syrup, apple juice and fresh lemon, it makes for a refreshing drink that is made with real ingredients not overloaded with sugar.
And it is made even more delicious by carbonating it in the ultra sleek BIBO Fizz Bar. The BIBO Fizz Bar is unlike any other soda machine out there as it will add bubbles to anything. Tea infusions, juices, water, flat beer, cold drink or wine, you name it, the BIBO Fizz Bar will bring the bubbles. The fizz bar is not only sleek, stylish and compact but is a handy accessory to the kitchen. It requires no electricity or batteries, is super simple to clean, and easy to use. I have used the BIBO Fizz Bar for the last 5 months and not only found it to be easy to use and so convenient but it looks pretty good on my kitchen counter.
Making the ginger syrup for the Apple Ginger and Lemon Spritzer is super easy but you need to make it in advance as it does need a few hours for the ginger to infuse. I purposely used less than a cup of sugar for the syrup as I did not want to overload the drinks with sugar. I think we are so used to sugar sweet carbonated drinks that you will need to taste and adapt the sugar in the recipe to your preference. Fruit juices are loaded with sugar so bear that in mind when you use fruit juice as a mix. Store the unused syrup in the fridge for up to a month.
You can replace the apple juice in the recipe with other juices. Grape juice will work really well but I think something more tropical like pineapple juice could be so good with the ginger. The slices of fresh apple really makes the drink so much more interesting (and delicious to nibble on once you have emptied your glass). Enjoy!
- 150g fresh ginger
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups clear apple juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup ginger syrup
- juice of ½ lemon
- To serve:
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 apple sliced
- Grate the ginger on the coarse side of a cheese grater
- Place the ginger in a small pot and add the sugar
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the rind of the lemon (make sure there is no pith) and add to the ginger and sugar as well as the juice of the lemon
- Add the salt and 2 cups of water and bring to the boil while stirring
- Remove from the heat, cover and let the syrup stand for a few hours to infuse and come to room temperature
- Strain through a strainer to remove the ginger and zest and store in an airtight container in the fridge
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Taste and add more ginger syrup or apple juice as desired
- Carbonate in the BIBO Fizz Bar as per instructions
- Serve with ice and garnished with lemon and apple slices
- Store the rest of the syrup in the fridge for up to a month
** Disclaimer. This recipe was created for and paid by BIBO Fizz Bar. I was provided with a BIBO Fizz Bar at no cost to create recipes for BIBO and for my personal use.