We’ve made it to the end of November 2020 and the festive season is on the horizon! After navigating this year it feels like a relief to start thinking about the festive season and I think this Apple Carpaccio Wreath made with sweet and crunchy JOYA® Apples is a fantastic way to start planning.
(This post has been paid for by JOYA® Apples)
This is such an easy recipe and shines with layers of texture. Thinly sliced JOYA® Apple wedges, topped with smoked trout ribbons, chopped toasted nuts, caper berries and fresh dill. Add a few slices of lemon and a dressing of your choice and it’s done. Packing it in the shape of a wreath makes it festive and celebratory in a flash. Add a few Christmas ribbons and decorations and you are guaranteed some oohs and aahs from family and friends.
You could replace the smoked trout with salmon, in fact, any smoked fish works well with the crunchy sweetness of the JOYA® Apples. Use any nuts of your choice or replace them with a seed mix. I kept the dressing to a simple vinaigrette but you could make a creamier dressing with yoghurt or mayonnaise. The options are endless really. And making individual Apple Carpaccio Wreaths and serving it as a plated starter for a summery outdoor lunch would be such a hit.
I am pleased to introduce my new cookbook, Drunk and Hungry available as an epub download. As the title states, the book consists of easy and flavourful recipes for when you find yourself drunk, and hungry. Savoury, sweet, vegan, vegetarian, bacon, cheese, spice, and carbs are packed into 15 easy recipes to satisfy your hunger while tantalising your tastebuds. The book has just been announced as the South African winner in the Digital Books category in the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards. It will now compete against 10 other international titles for Best in the World in Jun 2021 at the Cookbook Fair in Paris.
You can purchase the book by clicking on this link and all you need to read it is a free epub reader such as Apple Books, Fullreader or similar.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Apple Carpaccio Wreath and that it will become a family favourite over the festive season. If you’ve made the recipe share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #heinstirred. It is always a treat to see the recipes made and enjoyed.
Apple Carpaccio Wreath
- 4 - 6 JOYA® apples
- 150 g smoked trout ribbons
- handful nuts (almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- fresh dill
- caper berries
- 2 tbsp vinaigrette
- Sliced the JOYA® apples into thin wedges and place in water with lemon juice to keep them from discolouring
- Toast the nuts for a few minutes over a medium high heat until fragrant and set aside to cool, then chop coarsely
- Place a large bowl or plate upside down on a serving platter
- Dry the apple wedges with a tea towel and place them in the shape of a wreath around the bowl. Carefully remove the bowl once all the apples have been placed in the shape of a wreath
- Top the apple wreath with the smoked trout and sprinkle with the chopped nuts
- Garnish with the lemon slices, dill and caper berries and drizzle with the dressing
- Add some festive decor touches and serve