This post has been paid for by JAZZ™ Apples.
A homemade focaccia is such an easy way to add some flair to a get together with friends. And I am convinced this JAZZ™ Apple and Camembert Focaccia will add a whole lot of glam to that get together with minimal effort. Plus, to make it even sweeter, you can win a R10000 voucher with JAZZ™ Apples.
The focaccia dough is decorated with JAZZ™ apple slices, a wheel or two camembert cheese placed in the dough, then baked until golden and the cheese melting and bubbling. Sprinkle with a homemade spiced sesame “dukkah”, a drizzle or two of honey, cut into wedges and drinks are served!
I think the combination works so well and it looks pretty spectacular. The warm crusty dough, the sweetness of the JAZZ™ apples, the oozy, creamy cheese marrying with the earthy spices and crunchy sesame dukkah. Fabulous with drinks but just as good with a ham and pea soup as winter has definitely arrived in South Africa.
The recipe is for a yeasted dough made with instant yeast. If your lockdown sourdough starter is still surviving, you can follow this popular sourdough focaccia recipe I posted a while back. It really is a forgiving bread that any first-time baker can bake with ease. But if you can not be bothered with proving dough, ask your local baker for some dough and all you have to do is decorate and bake.
Now let’s get to that R10000 voucher. You can stand a chance to win a Simply Zola cookbook and a R10000 Checkers voucher with Zola Nene and JAZZ™ Apples. To enter head to Zola Nene Instagram page or visit JAZZ™ Apples SA website: https://jazzapple.com/za/win/. Be adventurous and tell them what exhilarating ingredient you’ll add to your JAZZ™ apple mocktail/cocktail. Make sure you enter by 26 June 2020.
“Grown with passion in sun-drenched orchards, enjoy the crunchy tangy-sweet, juicy invigoration only JAZZ™ apples can deliver. The collision of delightful flavours that combine into an overwhelming sensorial explosion is the result of natural breeding between the Royal Gala and Braeburn varieties. This is an apple that is a refreshing taste sensation! Originating in the beautiful orchards of New Zealand, JAZZ™ apples are now also grown in premium apple-growing countries in South Africa, the UK, Europe, USA, Chile and Australia. Look out for the distinctive bright blue label on every delicious JAZZ™ apple pack at any Checkers.”
I hope you enjoy this recipe for JAZZ™ Apple and Camembert Focaccia. If you’ve made the recipe do share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #heinstirred. It is always a treat to see the recipes made and enjoyed. And good luck winning that R10000 voucher!
- 500g white bread flour
- 10g sachet dried yeast
- 10ml sugar
- 7½ ml salt
- 300ml lukewarm water
- 1 large or two smaller wheels camembert cheese
- 2 - 3 JAZZ™ apples, thinly sliced and placed in ice water
- extra virgin olive oil
- SESAME DUKKAH
- 1 heaped tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- honey for drizzling
- sea salt flakes to taste
- Place the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl and make a small well in the middle
- Slowly pour the water into the well while mixing with a fork
- Mix until all the ingredients start coming together, and then knead for about 10 minutes until you have a smooth, soft dough that springs back to the touch
- Lightly oil a large bowl with some olive oil and transfer the dough to the bowl
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel and leave to prove in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size
- Lightly oil a non stick baking tray, punch down the dough and spread the dough out to cover the tray
- Cover again with a damp kitchen towel and leave to prove in a warm place for another 30 - 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Using your fingers, push down roughly on the dough to make dips and wells
- Thinly slice the top off the camembert and push the camembert rounds cut side up into the dough
- Drain the apple slices and dry them with kitchen towel
- Place the apple slices in a decorative pattern around the cheese and on the borders of the focaccia
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with some sea salt
- Bake the focaccia for 25 minutes until golden on top and cooked through
- While the focaccia bakes, toast the sesame seeds for a few minutes in a warm pan
- Remove and mix with the spices
- As soon as the focaccia comes out of the oven, sprinkle the focaccia with the sesame seed dukkah mix and drizzle with honey
- Sprinkle with more sea salt flakes and olive oil if desired and serve while the focaccia is still warm