These are my go to pickles when there are no “proper” pickles in the fridge. A few minutes to make and ready to eat in two hours. The longer the cucumber stays in the liquid the more crunch it will lose so these are best eaten within a day or two. They are the best accompaniment to some meat from the braai, on top of a toasted cheese sandwich or burger or served as a tangy addition to a wrap.
- 1 english cucumber
- 1/2 cup wine vinegar (white or red)
- 1/2 cup water
- a small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- half a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- good pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Cut each in half into 3 and slice each 3rd into thin batons. Place the cucumber and all the other ingredients in a seal-able container and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours giving the container a shake once or twice.