This Yoghurt Marinated Lamb Curry delivers on a whole lot of comforting winter flavours. Add a few beers, some warm naan breads and you have pulled together a feast with a bit of pre-planning but not a lot of effort as it is the simplest of recipes. Great for a midweek get together using a standard premix curry powder mix or paste.
Marinating the meat in yoghurt ensures the most tender results but also tones down the heat of the flavourful curry and delivers a rich mild curry. If you want a bit more heat, using a spicier curry mix than usual. The other alternative is to serve the curry with a spicy chutney on the side or even some fresh chopped chilies that each person can add to taste.
Top the curry with some toasted almond flakes for crunch and serve with loads of naan bread to mop up the delicious sauce. If you do not want bones in the dish, use about 1kg of lamb shoulder cut into chunks and reduce the yoghurt to one cup. You could also replace the lamb with chicken breast or thighs, reducing the cooking time by about half as the chicken will cook much quicker.
This is another recipe that I developed for My Collections with products available on the site. My Collections is a treasure-trove of the best food, adventures and stories that the world has to offer. It’s the flavour of the unknown – an online wandering goods market of unique tastes, sensations and new adventures. Go have a look.
We are offering Food Photography Workshops as part of my collaboration with Francois Pistorius and Isabella Niehaus. You can send me a mail or message on any of the posts on the blog if you would like to be notified of the dates for future workshops as we confirm them.
- 1 ½ kg stewing lamb, bone in
- 1 ½ cups full fat yoghurt
- 4 tbsp curry spice mix
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed
- oil for frying
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
- Mix the yoghurt, spices in a large bowl
- Add the lamb pieces and mix well to ensure the lamb is coated
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees
- In a large ovenproof casserole with lid, gently fry the onions and garlic until soft and transparent
- Add the lamb and marinade, give it a good stir and turn up the heat
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, salt and mix
- Place the lid on the dish and cook in the oven for 1 hour
- Remove the lid and cook the curry for another hour
- Check the seasoning and serve with naan breads, roti, steamed rice and some spicy chutney for extra heat