There are few things as delicious as a roasted chicken and a rotisserie chicken is something we hardly do at home due to mess it makes. So when I saw this recipe from Bon Appetit for Slow Roasted Chicken and Potatoes (they called it a Herbed Faux-tisserie Chicken and Potatoes), I instantly knew that I wanted to give their recipe a go.
The chicken gets rubbed inside and out with a herbed mixture of origanum, thyme, chilli and olive oil and then slowly roasted at 150 degrees C for about 3 hours until the meat and potatoes are meltingly tender. Once cooked you remove the chicken and blast the potatoes under the grill to crisp up while the chicken rests.
This is a delicious dish you pop in the oven and forget about it while it slowly roasts and all it needs from you is to baste it every hour with the pan juices. I served it with some roasted pumpkin dusted with a homemade version of one of my favourite spice mixes, Baharat, the recipe for which you can find by clicking on this link.
Hope you enjoy the recipe and if you’ve made the recipe share your dish with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram with the hashtag #heinstirred.
** Olive Oil provided by Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I am proud to be associated with Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil and use it whenever a recipe requires Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The South African cold press extra virgin Olive Oil is produced in the Riversdale area, has a whiff of fresh cut grass and aromas of green tomatoes, almonds artichokes and green apples.
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh origanum plus 8 sprigs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme; plus 8 sprigs
- 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes (less or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 x 1½ kg chicken (free range or organic if possible)
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 800g baby potatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C
- Combine the chopped origanum, chopped thyme, chilli, salt, black pepper and half the olive oil in a small bowl
- Rub the chicken inside and out with herb mixture
- Stuff the chicken with the lemon, garlic, 2 origanum sprigs, and 2 thyme sprigs
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine
- Toss the potatoes with the remaining olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper
- Place potatoes on the edges of the baking sheet and scatter the remaining oregano and thyme sprigs in the center and place the chicken on the herbs
- Roast for 3 hours, turning the potatoes and basting the chicken every hour, until the skin is browned, the meat is extremely tender, and potatoes are golden brown and cooked
- Remove the chicken and rest at least 10 minutes before carving
- While the chicken is resting, pop the potatoes under the grill for a few minutes until crisped up
Here are a few more of my favourite chicken recipes that are great for midweek meals :