This nifty end of the month recipe comes from the Lucky Star cookbook called Seven Colours with Fish. It has the most beautiful and delicious cover and I wanted to get a copy ever since I had seen it. The Saucy Fish Meatballs with Linguini is one of the first recipes I tried and I think it is a great recipe for the last week of the month while we all wait to get paid (especially if you are a freelancer and never quite sure).
Tinned pilchards is not the most glamourous ingredient. But with this book, Tamsin Snyman and Chef Kabelo Segone proves that a humble ingredient, high in protein, low in fat and packed with nutrients can offer imaginative meal ideas for all occasions without having to break the budget.
The recipes are easy to prepare, uncomplicated and there is something for everyone. Spicy Paella, Coconut Fish Curry Soup with Roti, Fish Rissoles with Hot Chilli Dipping Sauce and a Pilchard Shakshuka that shines on the cover of the book. This is the fourth cookbook in the range from the most trusted and loved canned fish brand in South Africa and you can order it here.
Saucy Fish Meatballs with Linguini is a great example of how delicious comfort food can be while being conscious of your budget. I used linguini as that was the only pasta I had in the cupboard, so replace it with spaghetti that is cheaper. I did not change much to the recipe but I added some harissa paste (I always have in the fridge) for some extra flavour but that is optional. And I love how the pasta soaks up the sauce once you’ve gently mixed it all together. Enjoy!
** Disclaimer ** I was invited to the launch of the book but could not attend and Tamsin generously sent a copy of the book to me. This post about the book is published on my own accord.
- Meatballs :
- 1 x 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli Sauce
- 1 x 410g can butter beans, drained
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 1 tsp dried garlic flakes
- Salt and pepper to season
- Oil for frying
- Sauce :
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp harissa paste (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 250g linguini or spaghetti
- fresh parsley, chopped
- caper berries to garnish (optional)
- Drain the pilchards and separate them, reserving the sauce
- Place the pilchards, butter, egg, herbs and garlic flakes in a food processor and blitz until combined
- Form into 16 or so balls
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry over a medium heat to seal the meatballs
- Drain on paper towel, set aside and keep warm
- Use the same pan and add some oil if required
- Add the onion and red pepper and cook until softened
- Add the harissa paste (if used) and cook for another few minutes
- Stir in the sugar, tomatoes, reserved pilchard sauce and chopped coriander and cook for another 5 minutes while stirring
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions, drain and add to the sauce, stirring to coat
- Pile the pasta and meatballs in bowls top with a few meatballs and scatter with some freshly chopped parsley and a few caper berries
A few more of my favourite comfort food recipes