This week’s blog post is a few days late but I am sure I am making up for it with this recipe for Roasted Broccoli with Nori Salt. I have made it 3 times since the first timeI tried it and can see myself eating this once a week from now on.
The recipe comes from The Guardian Feast – a weekly food magazine in the UK. I was lucky enough that a friend was coming to SA and I asked him to get a few copies so I could have a look. It is a wonderful magazine with writers I admire such as Yotam Ottolenghi, Thomasina Miers, Rachel Roddy, Meera Sodha and probably my favourite Great British Bake Off contestant, Tamal Ray. It is 20 pages of interesting recipes, images and the odd restaurant review.
It was Ottolenghi’s recipe for “flowering sprout chips with nori and sesame salt” that caught my eye and I wanted to make. We don’t get flowering sprouts in South Africa yet (I think) but I have quite the taste for nori (seaweed) lately so I needed to try the nori salt. I replaced the flowering sprouts with broccolini and it works so well with the nori salt. The sprout recipe was served with a mayonnaise which I also did but I added a dollop of wasabi paste to it for an extra punch. The wasabi and mayo is completely optional.
There will be leftover nori salt but that is not a problem. In fact you could easily double the recipe and store it in an airtight container. It is absolutely delicious and you can sprinkle it over any dish for extra seasoning and it is sublime with roasted butternut. Sprinkle it over boiled eggs, smashed avo toast or add it as crunch and flavour in a salad. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Roasted Broccoli with Nori Salt. If you’ve made the recipe share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram with the hashtag #heinstirred
- Adapted from The Guardian Feast Sunday 17 Feb
- 400g broccolini
- 2 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 x10cm x 10cm nori seaweed sheet
- 20g sunflower seeds
- 20g pumpkin seeds
- 20g sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 100g mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste (optional and to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Coat the broccolini with the oil and place on a large oven tray and roast for about 25 minutes until the edges start to char
- Dry fry the nori sheet in a pan over a medium heat for about 7 minutes until it starts to brown and breaks apart easily
- Remove from the heat and break into small pieces and place in a bowl
- Return the pan to the heat and toast the sunflower and pumpkin seeds for about 5 minutes until they have turned a golden brown and the pumpkin seeds have popped
- Tip the seeds on a chopping board, roughly chop and add to the nori
- Place the sesame seeds in the pan and toast for about 2 minutes until golden brown and add to the nori mix
- Stir in the chilli flakes and salt
- Mix the mayo with wasabi and set aside
- Serve the roasted broccolini with the nori salt and mayo on the side
A few more of my favourite veggie recipes :