These Peanut Butter Caramel Slices should come with a warning. They are insanely good and it takes a lot of self control to not have a next one and another after that. If there is one recipe you ever make from this blog I think this one is it, especially with all the holidays coming up and cookie jars that need to be filled for arriving friends and family.
I first came across the recipe on Cook Republic‘s Instagram feed and thought I would make these for Cookie Swap 4 a while back, but of course when Cookie Swap came around I had completely forgotten of my plans made.
The original recipe did not have peanut butter as an ingredient but I thought the peanut butter would work really well with the caramel. It is not overly “peanutty” but gives a good background flavour.
Food is all about texture and cookies and biscuits are some of the best vehicles to play with textures. The peanut butter cookie base has a crumbly, almost sandy like texture and on top of that is the smooth, gooey and rich caramel topping. I took the caramel to quite a dark bake – keep an eye on the oven and make sure you do not burn the delicious topping.
These slices are very sweet and utterly rich so keep them on the small side when cutting. From the tin I used, I managed about 30 squares and for most people (myself excluded) one slice at a time will be more than enough. I also think replacing the vanilla extract with coffee extract would add a tasty variation.
On baking, the caramel did stick to the baking paper around the edges so you will have to trim it a bit but was quite easy to do and I didn’t lose too much biscuit.
- 130g peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 100g butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup caramel or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 125g butter
- 385g condensed milk
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease and line a baking pan of about 20cm x 30cm with the baking paper hanging over the edges.
- Make the cookie base
- Melt the butter and peanut butter.
- Stir in the salt and vanilla extract.
- Place coconut, sugar, flour in a bowl. Add the melted butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Press the mixture thinly into the bottom of the prepared tin.
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.
- Make the caramel
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the condensed milk, golden syrup and salt.
- Stir constantly over a low heat to avoid sticking and cook for about 5-7 minutes until the caramel has thickened and smooth.
- Pour caramel mixture onto the baked cookie layer.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the caramel is bubbly and a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Cool for a couple of hours until firm and then slice and serve.
- Adapted from cookrepublic.com