After last week’s towering Doughtnut Ice Cream Sandwiches extravaganza, I think it is only apt for the next recipe to be on the other end of the scale. This recipe for Miso Honey Butter Chicken from Emily Clifton which I found on Honest Cooking embodies all that delicious miso savouriness. And since it is super easy and quick to make, it is a keeper as a midweek meal with little fuss but maximum flavour.
I have been a bit late to cooking with miso but always enjoy the results when I have used it as an ingredient. I have used it in this Bone Broth Ramen and these Chocolate Miso Brownies. Both recipes were really good and this recipe is no different. The savoury depth of the miso flavour works really well with the chicken and there is a slight sweetness coming from the honey that acts a counterbalance of flavour.
The original recipe called for maple syrup but I replaced it with honey as that it what I had at the time. Either will work for the dish. I also reduced the cloves of garlic to 4 as I did not want a too garlicky sauce but do double to cloves to eight if you love your garlic.
I used red miso which is more intense that white miso so you should add another tablespoon of white miso if that is what you use. Serve the chicken with a crisp green salad in summer or some lemony green beans will be a treat for a more wintery meal. Enjoy!
On a photography note, I recently started playing with Dreams and Spark Lightroom Presets to mix up my editing workflow and force my eye out of its usual editing routine. The above image was edited with one of the Dreams and Spark Matte presets and I then added a few tweaks of my own. I must say I quite like the faded vintage look of the image (I absolutely love the texture of the wood) and it is definitely different from my usual style.
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 50g butter, softened
- 45ml red miso (or more to taste)
- 45ml honey
- 1 thumb ginger, finely grated
- 15ml rice vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced, for garnish
- 15ml toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Combine the butter, miso, honey, ginger, rice vinegar, and black pepper in a large bowl and mix until well combined
- Add chicken to the bowl and spread the miso-butter mixture all over
- Gently lift up the skin of each piece and, using your fingers, rub some miso butter under the skin Place the chicken in a single layer in a roasting pan and add the garlic cloves
- Roast for 30 – 40 minutes, basting the chicken once or twice, until the skin is brown and crisp
- If the chicken is cooked before it’s brown enough, place it under the grill for a minute or two but watch carefully that it does not burn
- Push the soft garlic out of the skins with the back of a teaspoon and mash them into the pan drippings
- Add a splash of boiling water to the pan if needed
- Sprinkle the chicken with the spring onions and sesame seeds and serve with a spoonful or two of the pan sauces