These marinated chicken kebabs are a fantastic vehicle for to play with some strong aromatic spices. One of the spice mixes I found on My Collections was the The Brazilian Gaucho mix. Packed with paprika, onion and garlic flakes, cumin, coriander, thyme and a host of other fragrant spices it is the perfect dry rub for beef steak but I wanted to try it with the humble (and rather dull) boneless chicken breasts.
Marinating it in yoghurt tones down the spice flavours just a bit and ensures very tender pieces of meat. I added some apricot chutney in the mix for a bit of sweetness. The heat of the added chili and the pieces of apricot on the kebab itself adds a wonderful bit of tang.
You do not have to limit the ingredients on the kebab to just chicken and apricots but add mushrooms and some bell peppers or any other bits that takes your fancy.
These kebabs will be great on the braai or pan fried in a splash of oil. Serve it with some baked potatoes and salad or take the meat off the kebab once cooked and served it on a pita or flatbread with a spoonful of plain yoghurt, some more apricot chutney and chopped herbs for freshness.
If you are going to make them on the braai, remember to soak the wooden kebab sticks in water so they do not catch fire.
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- about 12 dried apricots
- ½ cup plain full fat yoghurt
- 2 tbsp Brazilian Gaucho mix
- 1 clove garlic, finely mashed
- 1 tbsp Boereplaas Apricot Chutney
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped. (Remove seeds and membrane to reduce the heat, if needed) or 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- squeeze of lemon
- Mix all the marinade ingredients.
- Flatten the chicken breasts slightly and slice each breast lengthwise into 5 strips.
- Cover the chicken with the marinade and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and scrape off any excess marinade.
- Skewer the strips of chicken on wooden kebab sticks alternating with a few apricots.
- Panfry or barbeque the kebabs for a few minutes on each side until cooked and serve immediately.
This is another recipe that I have developed for My Collections with products available on the site. My Collections is a treasure-trove of the best food, adventures and stories that the world has to offer. It’s the flavour of the unknown – an online wandering goods market of unique tastes, sensations and new adventures.