I saw a wonderful recipe for Speculoos Ice Cream on Ishay’s blog www.foodandthefabulous.com. I loved the addition of condensed milk to the ice cream and decided to use that as a base for this ice cream. One of my favourite desserts is Baked Peaches stuffed with Amaretti. I did a cooking course with Giancarlo and Katie Caldesi in Tuscany a few years back and that recipe I still make today. It was also my entry for the Masterchef auditions last year.
- 4 peaches (nectarines)
- 8 ts honey
- 1 tb honey
- 15 lavender leaves
- 250ml whipping cream
- 375ml milk
- 1 can condensed milk (385g)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ts vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Halve the peaches and stone. Add the honey to each peach cavity and roast at 200 degrees C for about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Once cooled pulse in a food processor. I prefer it a bit chunky as I like small pieces of peach and skin in the ice cream to add texture.
- Heat the cream, milk, 3/4 of the condensed milk, vanilla and lavender leaves in a saucepan and bring to just under the boil. Small bubbles will form on the edges of the saucepan.
- Whisk the eggs and left over condensed milk until pale and thick.
- Add a ladle of the cream mixture (avoid adding the lavender leaves) and whisk well. Add another two ladles and whisk well each time. Add the egg mixture to the cream mixture in the saucepan and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes or so until it coats the back of a spoon. Make sure the mixture does not boil.
- Pass through a sieve to remove the lavender leaves and add the peach mixture, add the tablespoon of honey and pinch of salt. Mix well and let the mixture cool for at least 6 hours. Churn the ice cream as per the instructions of your ice cream machine.