This Fennel and Apple Coleslaw is my attempt to move away from those bland vegetable salads drowning in mayonnaise and masking all flavour. And apple and fennel is such a great combination.
This crunchy coleslaw is a summery celebration of textures, colour and flavours and is a fantastic accompaniment to a barbecue or outdoor lunch and dinner. I love the splashes of red in the salad but feel free to play with different types of apples and cabbage for flavour and colour. Serving it in a rectangular dish rather than a bowl also show off all the beautiful colours of the salad.
I made the dressing lighter by a using half yoghurt and half mayo with a good splash of lemon juice. I think it worked really well with the peppery, aniseed and sweet flavours coming from all the ingredients. There is a fair amount of slicing required for the salad but other than that it is ready in a flash.
- Half a medium red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 5 radishes shaved
- 4 salad onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 heaped tsp mild mustard
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Place the vegetables in serving dish
- Whisk the dressing ingredients until well mixed
- Dress the vegetables with the dressing, toss gently and serve
** This recipe first appeared in the Sunday Times Food Weekly