This is without a doubt my dish of the summer and I will be serving it over and over again. The charred smokiness of the courgette and toasted bread blends wonderfully with the garlicky creaminess of the ricotta tzatziki plus hits of added freshness coming from the mint. It is just perfect served with a cocktail, will add a beautiful freshness to a platter of antipasti or a colourful start to an al fresco summer lunch.
The original recipe is from Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Home Cooking book which I was fortunate to win in a Food24 competition. It is a lovely book with a number of recipes I am dying to try. I tweaked the ricotta topping and made it into a ricotta tzatziki which I think adds even more summer to the dish.
Pair the bruschetta with the Flat Roof Manor Pinot Grigio which is the ideal companion to a summer’s day picnic or outdoors meal. The wine will be a great pairing with the ricotta topping and still light enough to not overpower the delicate courgettes.
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 1/2 english cucumber, deseeded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove of garlic, finely mashed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 10 courgettes, cut into diagonal slices 5mm thick
- olive oil for drizzling
- 8 - 10 thick slices ciabatta bread
- 10 mint leaves, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Grate the cucumber, place in a colander and sprinkle with the salt.
- Let it stand to drain for about an hour.
- After an hour, gently squeeze the cucumber to remove the liquid and place it in a bowl with the ricotta, garlic and lemon juice.
- Mix well, add some black pepper and check if the mixture has enough salt.
- Keep in the fridge until needed.
- Place the courgette slices in a bowl with a good splash of olive oil, add a pinch of salt and black pepper and toss to coat.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot and (in batches) add the courgette slices in a single layer.
- Cook for about 4 minutes on each side until slightly softened and striped on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside until all the courgettes are cooked.
- Once the courgettes are done griddle the slices of bread until golden and toasted on both sides.
- Spread the bread with the tzatziki, top with courgette slices and garnish with the mint leaves. Serve immediately
* This recipe forms part of the Flat Roof Manor Food and Wine Pairing Series